Q: My mother wants a special birthday present, for herself.  I do not have the cash for her present. May I purchase her birthday gift using my special needs trust money?

A: I bet your mom is wanting something, for her birthday, that will make her very happy.  I’m sorry to tell you though, the money in your special needs trust can only be used to purchase items or services specifically for you.  This is required by law.  If the trust were to pay for a gift for your mother, that purchase could jeopardize you receiving the government benefits you need, such as SSI and Medicaid.  Please tell your mother that although you would like to get her that special birthday present, you are not able to do so, using your special needs trust funds. 

For more information on Special Needs Trusts, please contact Vista Points, Inc. at [email protected] or call 888-422-4076.
Darlene A. Kemp, MPH, MBA-HCM – Executive Director, Vista Points, Inc.

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from Nashville Christian Family Magazine