From changing the air filter to mowing the lawn, routine maintenance is part of being a homeowner. But when it comes to garage door maintenance, many people don’t think about it until something goes wrong. After all, it quietly does its job day in and day out with little fuss … Sometimes for decades!
How often do you use your garage door? If you’re like most people, it probably opens and closes between 3-5 times each day. That’s up to 1,820 times in a single year! With so much use, it’s important to ensure your door is regularly inspected. A garage door tune-up typically includes the following:
- Inspection – A thorough inspection will check for wear and tear, rust, or other issues. This can include checking the springs, cables, and pulleys for signs of damage.
- Lubrication – Tracks, rollers, and hinges must be lubricated regularly to prevent rust and ensure smooth movement.
- Tightening Hardware – Loose screws and bolts can cause serious damage to your garage door and can even pose a safety hazard.
- Testing Safety Features – Safety features, such as automatic reverse mechanisms and door openers, should be tested regularly to ensure they work properly. This helps prevent accidents and injuries.
How often should a garage door be serviced?
Garage door servicing is easy to forget, so if it’s been more than a year since your last maintenance check, it’s time to schedule one. If you use your door frequently, an annual inspection is recommended.
How to maintain a garage door on your own
If you’re handy around the house, there are a few things you can do to maintain your garage door and keep it moving in between professional inspections:
- Clean the tracks with a damp cloth
- Check for rust or corrosion on any of the components
- Listen for any strange noises while the door is in motion
- Inspect the weatherstripping for gaps or tears
- Replace the batteries in door openers
Why invest in garage maintenance?
Is a garage door tune-up worth it? We might be biased, but we think it’s better to invest a little money and time into garage door preventative maintenance than pay out even more for a costly repair or replacement.
That’s where Lee Company comes in. We’ve been serving homeowners in Tennessee for nearly 80 years, and our licensed and insured professionals are experts in garage door maintenance.
We’ve got you covered, from garage door tune-ups to repair and replacement services. Don’t wait until something goes wrong; invest in your garage door’s health today and avoid stressful surprises down the road. Contact our garage door specialists now!
Devon Brewer, Emerging Markets Manager, www.leecompany.com