Fleas are the pest control epitome of “small but mighty.” These blood suckers are the most common cause of skin disease in dogs and cats and can cause health problems ranging from discomfort to allergic reactions to serious illnesses.
You don’t want them on your pets, and you certainly don’t want them hitching a ride into your house. Here are a few pet-friendly, natural ways to keep fleas off pets.
Signs Your Pet Has Fleas
What dog doesn’t love rolling around in the grass to scratch a particular elusive itch? The first step to preventing and getting rid of fleas is to learn the signs. The most common signs of fleas are:
- Frequent scratching, especially in the head and neck area
- Tiny red dots on the skin
- Skin inflammation
- Flea droppings (“flea dirt”), often resembling pepper flakes.
If your pet has one or more of these problems, it’s probably time for phase two.
4 Natural Home Remedies to Keep Fleas off Pets
- 1: Coconut Oil: Coconut oil applied directly to your dog’s coat can repel fleas! Don’t worry if they accidentally get a taste, this oil also has several health benefits for them.
- 2: Lemon Juice: Next time you’re bathing your pet, dilute half a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice into two cups of water and add it to their shampoo. Lemons are known to repel and kill fleas!
- 3 Apple Cider Vinegar: Adding a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your pet’s water will help prevent fleas from the inside out (as long as this doesn’t deter your pet from hydrating). You can also mix vinegar with water and apply it directly to your pet.
- 4: Lavender and Peppermint Oils: Lavender and peppermint are two dog-safe essential oils. You can find a shampoo that specifically uses either an ingredient or mix either with water in a spray bottle to repel fleas.
Your Trusted Pest Control for Fleas
These home remedies can be effective in killing or repelling fleas your pet has collected. However, while home remedies and over-the-counter flea treatment can control some of your issues, expert flea pest control gets to the root of the problem.
Our pest control services for fleas use human and pet-safe applications to rid your property of these pesky, blood-sucking pests. We’re here to look out for your family, including the furriest members! Visit our website or call us at 866.WAYNES1 today!
Meredith Boyd, Social Media and Marketing Specialist – www.callwaynes.com