Spring is around the corner, and homeowners are getting impatient to start working on new projects to beautify their homes and yards. We created a checklist with a few tips on keeping your roof problem-free, so it can live up to its expected lifespan.
- Trim Trees That Surround Your Roof. If trees surround your house, it’s a good idea to trim all branches that are touching the roof or growing too close to it every spring. The perpetual motion of a branch touching shingles causes slow granule loss and weakens the shingles. Heavy storms may causeold or dead branches to break and causemore severe damage if a branch falls on theroof. Call professional tree trimming servicesto help with this. They have the tools and machineryneeded for this workand knowledge ofhow to do it safely, preventing branches from falling on your house or accidentally hurting you.
- Clean the Gutters. Gutters are an essential part of the roof system that usually needs much attention and maintenance. We recommend cleaning them every season of leaves, twigs, pine needles, and other natural debris that falls in and clogs them. You want to keep your gutters always clean,so they can efficiently collect water and lead it away from your house. If gutters are clogged, water willoften splashon thefacade, causing the wood to rot. Klaus Roofing Systems of Nashville has an excellent solution for preventing clogging! Rain Drop Gutter Guard will protect your gutters and ensure all debris will fall off instead of sitting in the gutters. RainDrop Gutter Guard is a durable top-rated gutter cover that fits all gutter sizes.
- Brush Off Leaves from the Roof. While you’re cleaning gutters, you want to check your roof too. Brush off all leaves and twigs that are sitting in the valleys and flat are as to prevent rotting.
- Check for missing or damaged shingles. While you’re up on the roof, you should inspect the shingles. If you find damaged or missing shingles, it’s best to call your local roofing company as soon as you can. Fixing minor issues immediately prevents them from developing into more severe problems that will ultimately cost you more if left untreated.
- Re-seal All Roof Vents and Flashing. If you see cracked sealing around the chimney or roof vents, you can remove it and apply a new sealant. Make sure not to miss even the tiniest gap, because if you do, it will eventually be guaranteed to cause a leak.
- Inspect Fascia and Soffit. Make sure the fascia and soffit are correctly attached to prevent water from getting behind the boards, causing wood rot, or birds building bird nests in the empty cavity behind the boards.
- Treat Shingles for Algae, Moss, and Lichen. Hot and humid weather and moisture are the perfect environment for algae, moss, and lichen to grow on top of your asphalt shingles. We don’t recommend cleaning your roof yourself because it can often end up with damaged shingles. There are professional companies that specialize in cleaning roofs and could help without damaging your roof. Klaus Roofing Systems installs architectural shingles that contain special algae-resistant granules to help inhibit the growth of blue-green algae that causes unattractive black stains and discoloration. Our architectural shingles come in a wide variety of colors and are engineered to withstand winds up to 130mph.
- Let Us Take Care of Your Roof! We understand that maintaining your roof can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Let us help! Our professional team can help you with all roofing needs, fascia,and soffit repairs, and gutter problems. We offer professional roofing services and use only the highest-quality materials on the market. We never take shortcuts because we care about providing high-quality, long-term solutions to homeowners.Our roofs come with a 50-year roof warranty and family-like customer service.
Do you have any questions about your roof? Do you need to consult a roofing expert about the best solution for your roofing problems? Schedule a free roof inspection at www.roofnashville.com or call 615-270-8954.
Martina Brindley, Marketing Coordinator–Frontier Basement and Crawl Space and Klauss Roofing –www.trustfrontier.com, www.roofnashville.com