Sneezing, a stuffy nose and watery eyes are all common symptoms for people who have allergies. Although dealing with allergies can be a real bummer, dealing with allergies associated with your pet can be an even bigger downer. Our pets are like family. But for people who suffer from pet allergies, living with a furry little friend can create a real problem…ah-choo!
If someone in your home, maybe even one of your kids, suffers from pet allergies you’ll want to continue reading. In this article we offer recommendations on how you can make some household changes and take regular cleaning steps that can help reduce the effects of pet allergies and cut down on the number of stuffy noses and watery eyes.
Changes that Can Make a Difference
To start with, you will need to embrace the idea of change. Making changes to the way you live and how you do things around your house can have a significant impact on how you and a loved one respond to these recommendations. Here are some changes that can make a real difference:
- Remove your pet’s favorite furniture. Fido may not be happy about losing his bed, but your allergy-sufferer will appreciate removing the presence of a constant allergen.
- Cover bedroom vents with dense filtering material such as cheesecloth. Forced-air heating and air-conditioning can spread allergens throughout the house. Filtering out as much of those allergens as possible will help you sleep and should lessen the spread and effect of allergens, which should help you wake up feeling a little more refreshed.
- Add an air cleaner with a HEPA filter to central heating and air conditioning. Doing so can help remove pet allergens from the air. Use the air cleaner at least four hours per day.
- Remove wall-to-wall carpet, if possible, and replace with tile or wood. Tile and wood floors don’t hold dander and other allergen like carpet. And they are easier to clean.
If removing the carpet is not an option. Then, you’ll need to vacuum a little more often. We recommend at least twice per week. More if you have multiple pets. If the allergy-sufferer is the one who performs this cleaning task, they should wear a mask to avoid inhaling allergens that get stirred up during the cleaning process. It’s also recommended to use a vacuum with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter. This will help trap
and contain more dust and allergens, keeping them out of the air you breath. Finally, a good steam cleaning of your carpet at least once every six months will do wonders to help reduce the amount of allergens that build up over weeks and months.
Make Regular Cleaning a Regular Thing
Once you’ve completed the above changes, it’s time to take things a step further.
- Keep your floors clean – read our Keeping Floors Clean with Pets article for more information.
- Keep all surfaces throughout your home clean and uncluttered.
- Use throw rugs and wash them in hot water once per week.
- Give your pet(s) a nice bath every week. This should help reduce airborne allergens.
- Wash your sheets weekly, especially if your pet(s) join you in bed.
- Brush your pet(s) outside on a weekly basis to remove dander and loose fur.
- Clean the litter box or cage outside once per week.
- Scrub your walls and woodwork once per month.
- Check and vacuum under furniture to eliminate any fur that may have accumulated.
- Vacuum upholstery on a weekly basis. Steam clean fabric upholstery on a monthly basis.
Professional Cleaning Help
Maintaining this regime can prove to be a daunting and difficult task for a busy family. The cleaning pros at Molly Maid can customize a regular cleaning plan that fits your schedule and help reduce pet allergies in your home. And a cleaner home with less pet allergens means everyone can breathe a little easier. Whether you’d like a one-time cleaning or a weekly recurring cleaning plan, our custom cleaning plans are designed to work around your schedule and budget. Contact your local Molly Maid – 615-794-0200 or 615-603-3766, today to discuss a cleaning plan that’s right for you. https://www.mollymaid.com/s-davidson-williamson-maury-counties/about-us/contact-us/
MS. MOLLY FOUNDATION
A portion of Molly Maid’s sales support victims of domestic violence in the communities we serve. To date, Ms. Molly has proudly raised more than $3 million – and we are not slowing down! This non-profit organization aims to increase public awareness of domestic violence and to provide victims with support. We believe everyone deserves to feel safe in their homes. The Ms. Molly Foundation strives to empower communities to end the cycle of violence in the home. It’s our goal to help give victims of domestic violence a second chance at happiness